ELC Literacy Buddy Project
The Early Learning Coalition will continue a project during the 2012-2013 school year which provides children with books for high quality home / bedroom libraries. Children come to school better prepared to learn when they have experienced lots of modeling by adults who read, write and converse with them.
Children participating in our Literacy Buddies program truly benefit from the engagement with adults through written communication and the receipt of books throughout the school year. The following writing samples were completed by two children over a span of 4 months demonstrating what a difference books and letters can make in the life of a child:
|Isabella March 2009||Isabella May 2009|
|Mateo - (diego adventures) January 2010||Mateo - (cat in the hat) February 2010||Mateo - (writing) April 2010|
You can help by becoming an adult Literacy Buddy!
- Over 2000 children hope to participate in our program in 2012-2013!
- A Literacy Buddy agrees to receive letters from a child in an early learning facility served by the Early Learning Coalition.
- The Buddy in turn sends a letter and high quality book in response to the child's letter
- This exchange takes place three times from mid fall to spring.
- The program teaches children about correspondence, communication and instills appreciation of high quality children's literature
Please take a moment to download and fill out the application to become a Buddy. For more information or inquiries about the program, please e-mail LiteracyBuddies@elcofswfl.org or call 239-210-6886.
- Application to become a Literacy Buddy - English
- Application to become a Literacy Buddy - Spanish
- Teacher application
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Literacy Buddies Program
2675 Winkler Avenue, Suite 300 • Ft. Myers, Florida 33901
• Office Hours: 8am-5pm Monday - Friday; Tuesdays 8am-7pm